Who we are. What we do.
CompaniesInTheUK (CUK) provides information on UK Companies. We hope that this information will lead to better and more transparent relationships with your suppliers.
This website Companies In The UK does not represent the official register of companies, and this website is not affiliated to or endorsed by Companies House, the UK government or any official body.
CUK monitors a number of publicly available data sources for this Company information. We correlate and cross reference the information from these sources, and present an overall view of the company’s profile, it’s directors and financial status.
Some of this information may be classed as ‘person data’ under European Union (EU) law because it relates to a natural person, such as who the director of a company is. We are required to provide this privacy notice on how we process this personal data under EU law.
Note that the EU GDPR privacy laws and UK Data Protection Act only relate to the protection of ‘natural persons’ i.e. People, as opposed to ‘legal persons’, which are business entities i.e. Companies. We do not remove companies from our database, and we will decline any requests asking for ‘my company’ to be removed from our website due to GDPR or UK Data Protection legislation.
The Data Protection Officer for CUK can be contacted at email@example.com
Why do we collect data?
CUK processes data on UK Companies so that it can supply it to other companies and individuals. This data is used by these companies and individuals to better guide their decision on how they interact and do business with other companies. We call this Commercial Data.
We also collect operational data of your interaction with our website, www.companiesintheuk.co.uk. We collect this information so we can protect our website from malicious activity and fraud. This information is also used to optimise performance on the website. And finally, we use this information to display relevant and engaging advertising to you which helps fund the running of CUK.
We call this Operational Data.
What information do you collect?
1. Commercial Data
For our ‘Commercial Data’ we collect data on UK Companies, which provides the content of our website, for example this includes:
• A Company’s name and contact details. Contact details includes the company’s addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and domain names.
• The Company Principles, that is the identity of the Company Directors, Company Secretary, Persons of Significant control and their contact details.
• The Company’s financial performance, profitability and financial status.
We collect this information from:
• Public Data Sources, such as the public Company Register maintained by Companies House.
• Information that a company publishes on itself, such as the contact details on their website.
• Government publications, such as The Gazette, with company bankruptcy details.
CUK does not seek to collect any Sensitive Personal Data, such as genetic data, race, politics, or sexual orientation. Nor does CUK seek to collect an individual’s criminal offence data. We do not consider this information at all related to our interests in providing UK Company information.
2. Operational Data
To operationally provide our website to you, we collect the following ‘Operational Data’:
• We log the website pages that you visit along with your IP address. This is used to diagnose any problems with running our website, this information is deleted within a few months.
• If you choose to Monitor a company for changes, we collect your email address and details about what Company you are monitoring. You are able to choose to stop monitoring the company at any time.
• Details of any purchases of company documents from our website. We consider these details to be part of our company’s records, and thus legally required to retain these for seven years. These records do not include your address or your credit card number used for payment.
• If you have chosen to register with our website, then we also store a salted and hashed value of your password. We don’t store your password in plain text nor have the ability to decrypt your password back to plain text.
Who do we share this information with?
We share only share our Commercial Data with the users of the website CompaniesInTheUK.co.uk.
We share our ‘Operational Data’ with:
- Google Analytics, this allow us to monitor the usage of the website and improve it.
- To a court, tribunal administrative authority law enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities or government agencies. This does from occur time to time, and we silently comply with the orders.
- Our advertising partners. We need advertising to pay for running our website. The servers that run our website cost us rather a lot of real money. If you wish to adjust your preferences, so that we don’t share information with the advertising partners, then you can on the following links:
We would prefer if you don’t opt out of personalised ads, we earn more money from showing you these ads. Also you get a better experience from being shown advertising that is tailored for you, rather than generic spam. Who knows, you may actually see something interesting and decide to click on an ad and buy it.
- As required or appropriate in order to protect our website, business operations or legal rights, or in connection with a sale or merger involving CompaniesInTheUK Ltd assets or businesses.
We do not transfer your data outside of the EU. Of course, someone using our website from outside of the EU will be getting the website presentation of the data, but there is no bulk transfer of data to other data processors outside of the EU.
Personal data is stored for the minimal time necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. For example, the pages you have viewed on the website are stored in our diagnostic logs, when we no longer need this information to diagnose any issues, then we remove the logs.
Grounds of Processing
Using GDPR terminology, we process personal data under the grounds of “legitimate interest”.
The processing of data by CompaniesInTheUK is so we can provide a website that allows you to know the companies you are doing business with, who runs them, the financial records etc.
We balance this legitimate interest with an individuals interests. If we feel that on balance, by processing an individuals personal data would cause unjustified harm we will stop processing the individuals data.
You can request that we remove your details from our website, please refer to Data Removal Requests for more information.
Data Subject Rights
You have the right to request from us confirmation of whether we are processing your personal data, and if so access to that information. Please refer to Subject Access Requests for more information.
All complaints or concerns and appropriate resolution relating to the practices of handling personal information will be logged. Any complaints of this nature should be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to:
Companies In The UK
PO Box 6945
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.